Monday, November 5, 2012

Milestone & Music Monday

Each Monday I plan to share both a milestone achieved by Vivian during the past week and a song that I think is worth listening to. These two topics not only create a nice alliterative post title but also reflect two things that I look forward to and enjoy in my life.


Milestone

They say time flies when you're having fun. They also say time speeds by once you have a kid. Considering both idioms, you can imagine just how fast time is going for us. We have been having a ball since we had our little Ball. It is just nuts that our little girl is already three months old today!

Yesterday, she rolled from back to tummy for the first time! Corey and I had been encouraging her through her frustrated attempts all weekend. She finally mastered pulling her weight over that awkward in-the-way shoulder. She was so proud and we were too!


She has since been repeating the roll over and over again: each time smiling and excitedly kicking in celebration.

Music

I discovered the band Blind Pilot back in college when my roommate and I were looking for a show to go to in Portland. They were in line to appear in the city in a few weeks so we downloaded the album, 3 Rounds and a Sound, to get acquainted with their music beforehand. I became near obsessed with almost every song, listening to it on repeat for weeks. Unfortunately, the show ended up being at a 21 and Over Only venue and we weren't able to go. Sad.

The Portland-based band, led by Israel Nebeker, made themselves known by touring on bicycles up and down the West Coast. They later opened for The Decemberists (another one for my favorite bands) and appeared at some large festival events.

They had a way of capturing my imagination and left me interpreting lyrics to fit my own present circumstances. Now, I have an emotional connection and nostalgic reaction to the band as a whole. I still have the track order and the majority of the lyrics memorized from that initial album.

Here's a track from their latest album, We Are The Tide. Take a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment